I have temporarily set aside trying to work on the bottom bracket of the clunky bike. Next repair session I'm going to adjust the shifters on my bike! I'll keep you posted.
I found a great website www.parktool.com that walked me through how to adjust my front derailer. I learned about derailer positioning, H and L screws, and what this thing does!
My wife's bike has friction shifters. I'm thinking about replacing them with click shifters next.
This is what I was trying to get apart for a second week. I'd like to change the gear setup on my bike, so I'm working on a junker first.
I didn't get any further this time, but I managed to break off one of the pedals stomping on it to try and loosen things up.
I've been away a while, but now that the weather is turning warm in the Northeast, I hope to be posting more often. A few months ago I found a bike out in the trash. I've been using it as a learning bike before I try anything big on my wife's bike.
My goal for today was to disassemble the main crank and see what lay inside.
I managed to get it almost totally off, and doing so required overcoming a few challenges:
I started this blog to share my transformation from math nerd to math nerd who loves to share math with young people. I teach high school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Your comments are always welcome.