- Governor Tom Wolf
Pennsylvania Public School State Funding
- Student Proportional Formula gives the same amount of money to each student
- Need Based Formula gives more money to districts who contribute less to their schools
- Need Ability Based Formula tweaks the Need Based Formula by giving more to those districts who give a higher percentage of property value to their schools
- Have students walk through the details of each formula, and understand which choices went into the formulas.
- Have students apply these formulas to other districts, besides the ten in the example.
- Students propose their own formula and justify their formula on the basis of fairness.
- Public school funding comes primarily from two sources: the local district and the state. What is the state’s responsibility when it allocates state funds to the districts?
- Is it fair to give every child the same amount of education funding?
- What factors should the state consider when determining funding for each district?
- What other factors affect the quality of education in a school district?
- The Campaign for Fair Education Funding
- Pennsylvania Department of Education